Message from DPW Superintendent Harry Wozunk
With the proper use of storm forecasts, personnel, equipment and de-icing materials, the desired result can usually be attained. Flexibility is needed to adapt to the variety of circumstances and conditions during a snow or ice storm. Public safety is our main concern, providing safe travel conditions for pedestrians and motorists. Removal of snow and ice is a difficult task. It is extremely rough on equipment and on personnel. Delay of some services in inevitable. Some causes for delay could be:
- Vehicles, trailers parked and blocking the street;
- Vehicles getting stuck in the street;
- Equipment breakdowns – our DPW provides its own fleet maintenance and emergency repairs to its equipment;
- Operator breaks for rest and meals;
- Refueling or loading of de-icing materials;
- Snow being placed on the street after we have plowed, which requires crews to return to these streets and re-plow; and
- Unforeseen conditions and emergencies.
We ask you for your patience during any snow event.
DUE TO CONDITIONS – PLOW TRUCKS COULD PLOW CURB IN BOTH DIRECTIONS
WE STRIVE TO PLOW CURB TO CURB WHEN POSSIBLE
DUE TO COVID.
WE COULD EXPERIENCE STAFFING AND/OR EQUIPMENT SHORTFALLS TO PLOWING.
IF YOU MUST CLEAR YOUR DRIVEWAY PRIOR TO ENDING OF PLOWING OPERATIONS PLEASE CONSIDER
TO CLEAR ON BOTH SIDES OF APRON TO GIVE SPACE FOR THE PLOW TO UNLOAD BEFORE DRIVEWAY
WE CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH TO AVAOID SPOILS BACK IN FRONT OF DRIVEWAYS
DO NOT SHOVEL OR BLOW SNOW INTO STREET.